Friday, December 17, 2010

Painting: Which Army?

Currently I'm trying to get my army painted away. I first had the hard time of deciding which army I wanted to paint first.

My Blood Angels army is all primered a reddish-brown and all my vehicles are basecoated Mechrite red. All my infantry is basecoated with Army Painter Dragon Red.

Let me go off on a tangent real quick...Army Painter Dragon Red has been quite inconsistent with me. YMMV but for me it hasn't been that great. I loved my first spray can I got of it and the sort of "burnt" blood red look it game. My second spray can of Dragon Red was very bright, almost as if it was Blood Red straight from the pot. First I thought it would have been the wrong paint I purchased but after double checking everything it was for sure Dragon Red. Posted on the forums about it and others have had the same problems...beware Army Painted Dragon Red. YMMV!

The Tyranids are all base-coated Blood Red and then dipped in a Minwax Antique Walnut. I did not feel like buying 4+ bottles of GW Devlan Mud nor did I want to waste time putting it on 80+ Gants, 20+ Stealers, 20+ Hormies, 20+ Gargoyles...etc.

After a long while I decided to paint my Tyranids first. Though I really wanted to get down a green eye glowing effect on my Space Marines. Sadly I'm not that great with the glazing effect and it failed.

I didn't like that both my BA and Tyranid armies were red so I decided to try different color schemes. Posted the pictures up on various forums and I'll let the people decide! So far most people are liking my Red > Fiery Orange > Rotting Flesh/Fiery Orange mix 1:1 > Rotting Flesh > Skull White scheme.

I'll post my pictures up right now before I end my post. Don't look at the models as a whole, look at them per carapace sections. I just used my warriors as test dummies to try out different schemes.

(The first image is the one most people are voting on. Lucky for me everything is already based red so it's the easiest for me to actually do. Woo! Lucky!)

Have a great night!

Syypher




No comments:

Post a Comment