Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tyrannofex Conversion

Hello and welcome to my Tyrannofex Conversion tutorial!

I don't claim that this is the best Tyrannofex conversion above the rest. If I say I do not like other Tyrannofex conversions it's simply a matter of personal taste. With that said this Tyrannofex does not follow the image in the Tyranid Codex so if that's what your looking for I apologize. I just want to give a tutorial after all my hard work because I haven't been able to find a T-Fex to my liking. Maybe this will help someone. This Tyrannofex is built from my own ideas of how I see a BS3, T6, W6 and 2+ save model. I am NOT claiming this is a completely one of a kind Tyrannofex conversion as I'm sure it will resemble some models out there. Only so little we can do with Carnifex kit bashing into a Tyrannofex :)

This Tyrannofex conversion is going to be modeled with a Rupture cannon mounted on his back. I see the T-Fex as a very tanky almost Riot Shield wielding Tyranid. I do not want a T-Fex with scything talons as I see his talons snapping in half after the force of firing a Rupture Cannon @ Str10. I wanted my T-Fex to be bulky and tough. After looking through a bunch of leftover bits I finally found the "bulk" and "riot-shield-esque" ideas I wanted to do and decided to finally give it a go!


Step1:
You need an empty Cash Register paper roll. You then need to carve and cut at it until it can fit on one of those Carapace that you put on a Carnifex smoothly. Assemble the Carnifex Body, Tail, and Legs standard.




Step 2:
Glue the form fitted Register Roll to a Carapace piece you'll eventually glue to the top of the Carnifex.



Step 3:
I'm going to combine a bunch of steps into step 3 since they are all the same thing. This step is where we start making the barrel look like more than a Register Roll. Start finding bits from other guns, claws, trygon jaws, extra trygon bits etc. and put them on the roll. You will cover the entire Rupture cannon with green stuff. Then  just start squishing the pieces into the green stuff.








Step 4:
Now glue the Carapace holding the now "be-dazzled" rupture cannon to the Carnifex body like you normally would. :P If you want it more of a barrage look then put green stuff under the Carapace holding the Rupture cannon first so it raises it. I like it straight since it isn't a barrage-ish type weapon.




Step 5:
Don't have a picture for this step but attach the head. Do not use the Carnifex head with antennaes. It pokes the rupture cannon. I used the one where he has the two spikey boney things coming out of his chin.

Step 6:
Get 2 arms that are holding something. Make sure they are different. A left and right arm that you can convert. I also had a buttload of extra Carapace bits so my riot-shield tank-ish looking Tyrannofex dreams were coming true! Collect them. Also get the Crushing Claws that comes with the Carnifex kit.





Step 7:
Cut the spikes off that come out of the crushing claws.


Step 8:
Cut the arms that have a left and right side you had earlier like the picture below and "link" them to the Crushing Claws arms with green stuff. I don't know how to specifically explain it but the pictures should be able to get you a good idea of what to do.




Step 9:
Glue the Carapace onto the Crushing Claws so the pointy part is facing downwards. I like to think of these as the T-Fex's "Armored Shell" biomorph! Also I placed them pointy side down because when the Tyrannofex fires his massive Rupture Cannon he shoves his arms into the group to act like a brace from the impact while still shielding his body kind of like a riot shield. Another fun note, is it covers almost everything except his face giving him awesome protection but limiting his view, hence BS3 instead of BS4. ROFL






Step 10:
Now glue the Crushing Claw/Carapace Shield to his body and your done! Here are some completed pictures. Hope you enjoyed the tutorial and good luck if you try it! :)






1 comment: